Friday, July 22, 2011

Septums & Plugs

I could really care less what people wear on their bodies. If I see someone walking around in old 70's hippie dress I would be amused, but I wouldn't judge. Times change, style changes, and people's mindsets, I think, should move with it. Accessories my parents clearly despise of are plugs and septums. Here's what I think.

Septums, if you do not know, are nasal piercings put through the nasal septum, a cartilaginous wall [1] that separate your nostrils. They have grown in popularity amongst the younger adult generation, and seem to have taken the eyes of the next generation to hit their twenties.




Plugs, also known as gauges, are ear piercings that focus on stretching the earlobe into a wider circle [2]. This is done for self-expression, for keeping a culture, or just for the sake of fashion. Plugs, or gauges (gauges referring to their sizes), are even much more so popular in the young adult population of America, and are much more accepted than a septum piercing.

There has been a problem within my family, caused by these two types of piercings. First, my brother's wife has a septum piercing. It is not big, and when she is wearing it it isn't very noticeable, yet my mother cannot stand it. Before my brother and his wife got married, my mother even threatened not to go to the wedding because my brother's wife decided she wanted to wear her septum on the big day. I just couldn't see why it was such a big problem. I mean, sure, I don't want one, but who am I to judge or care for what other people are wearing? In fact, when she wears it, it seems like a part of her-- I just don't care if she does.

The other problem is with my sister's boyfriend. He has a septum but he also has plugs, and these my mother and father seem to hate even more than my brother's wife's septum. My mother complains EVERY TIME she sees him with them in, which really bothers me. I think he is a really cool guy; he's funny and knows how to just enjoy himself. He can cook very well. He even wants to go to culinary school. He has a nice personality. Yet it seems that my mother (and to an extent, my father) can only see as far as his nose and ear piercings. To me? I just think, "big deal." I don't even notice them.

I just don't see why there is such prejudice. If someone wants to wear something as minuscule as a septum or a gauge, why make such a big deal about it? It seems even childish to me. Accept people for who they are. And here comes another cliché saying:

Don't judge a book by its cover.


-Luke

[1] Source: Nose Piercings Information
[2] Source: Ear Piercings Information

An extra thought... I haven't posted in a long time. I've been gone on trips and after I got back from them I've just been lazy. Well here I am, I'll start again!

19 comments:

  1. I agree, it's really unfair how some people judge based on piercings and tattoo's. I'm just glad that the younger generation is far more accepting these days

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly what I mean... It's just unfair. And I'm glad about the acceptance there is these days, too. Just gotta sway them oldies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the little flare would be an issue for my septum, but it was actually a little too sublte. I lost the plug blowing my nose during allergy season. Be careful when you have the sniffles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The whistling has stopped but now my septum is sore and I live everyday wondering if it will fall out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Self believe and self care is the best for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They also burned designs on the wear surface of the blocks of bamboo, as shown above. The celebration of the long or short stalks of bamboo or cork.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Septums is a vertical layer of fibrous tissue that separates the halves of the tongue.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a deviated septum that suppresses air circulation through one area or the other on any ... It is best for other nose difficulties aside from deviated septums like nasal

    ReplyDelete
  9. carved and painted designs and cutting holes, white bone, wood or mammoth ivory plugs, silver caps, omega inverted U , CBR, CBR square, Yoni, compact spirals, homegirl spirals, spirals wicked Java style rings, claws with balls or inlaid nail heads, labrets and partitions. Also opal, shell, amber, and other forms of inlaid stone, labrets, and a rocket!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The singing has ceased but now my septum is aching and I stay daily questioning if it will slide out. My septum without the put is extremely unpleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  11. For large assess septums many choose to use attaches, as they do not compare their noses down, which is beneficial in the recovery process.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Attaches, earlets and channels are usually used in lobe piercings but can also be used in other locations like septums and fibrous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I believed the little sparkle would be a problem for my septum, but it was actually a little too sublte. I missing the connect ruining my nasal area during sensitivity period. Be cautious when you have the sniffles!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I could really care less what people wear on their bodies

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a deviated septum that inhibits air movement through one place or the other on any ... It is best for other nasal place issues aside from deviated septums like nasal

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think he is a really cool guy; he's funny and knows how to just enjoy himself. He can cook very well. He even wants to go to culinary school. He has a nice personality.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just couldn't see why it was such a big problem. I mean, sure, I don't want one, but who am I to judge or care for what other people are wearing? In fact, when she wears it, it seems like a part of her-- I just don't care if she does.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yet it seems that my mother (and to an extent, my father) can only see as far as his nose and ear piercings. To me? I just think, "big deal." I don't even notice them.

    ReplyDelete